07 April 2015
Bringing an action-packed 20th Congress of the EAHP to a conclusion, EAHP President Dr Roberto Frontini reminded the 3,500 attendees of the critical mission of the hospital pharmacy profession: putting patient safety first. The entire Congress took this theme as its guiding subject with keynotes, seminars, and Synergy events including:
- Developing a safety culture: how to progress effectively;
- Safety in high reliability industries – what health professionals can learn;
- Barcoding the single dose of drugs to improve patient safety;
- Improving patient safety through multidisciplinary teamwork;
- Evidence and pharmacovigilance of monoclonal antibody reference and biosimilar products;
- Targeted drugs, scattered goals, an examination of new approaches to cancer therapy
In addition, the Congress provided an opportunity recognise to achievements with the following prizes awarded:
- 1st prize poster abstract: Natalia Navas Iglesias, Long-term stability of diluted solutions of the monoclonal antibody Infliximab
- 2nd prize poster abstract: Rianne Zaal, Evaluation of a systematic tool to reduce inappropriate prescribing (STRIP) in adults with intellectual disability: a pilot
- 3rd prize poster abstract: Carlota Salazar, Parenteral Nutrition (PN) in premature infants: risk analysis after redesigning a production process
- 1st prize Good Practice Initiative: Patricia Ging, Innovating and collaborating – synergy between the hospital pharmacy and the University
- EAHP-EPSA Student Science Award: Claudine Aziz, Compliance with the health information and quality authority of Ireland national standard for patient discharge summary information
EAHP Director of Education, Science and Research Prof. Dr. Kees Neef closed the Congress by describing the programme for the 2016 Congress in Vienna with the guiding message: "Hospital Pharmacists taking the lead: partnerships and technologies".
EAHP Chief Operating Officer Jennie De Greef commented: "I want to express thanks to all those who make the continuing growth and impact of the EAHP Congress possible, including the Board of Directors, Scientific Committee and our industry partners Bayer HealthCare and Roche (Platinum partners), Amgen and Novartis Oncology (Gold partners) and Pfizer and Baxter (Corporate partners). We already have lots of new ideas and initiatives lined up for our 2016 Congress and look forward to sharing these in the coming months. Registrations and abstract submissions open on the 1st August 2015."
For further information contact info[at]eahp[dot]eu 00 322 741 2436
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is an association of national organisations across 34 countries representing hospital pharmacists at European and international levels. More information about the EAHP and its history here.
- The EAHP annual Congress is the second largest hospital pharmacy education event in the world, attended by over 3,500 professionals from across the globe. The 20th Congress took place in Hamburg from 25th-27th March and had as its theme: "The hospital pharmacist's agenda: patient safety first".
- Further information about the keynote speech on developing a safety culture is available here.
- Further information about the keynote speech on safety in high reliability industries is available here.
- Further information about the Synergy Satellite on bar coding the single dose of drugs to improve patient safety is available here.
- Further information about the seminar on improving patient safety through multidisciplinary teamwork is available here.
- Further information about the Synergy Satellite on evidence and pharmacovigilance of monoclonal antibody reference and biosimilar products is available here.
- Further information about the Synergy Satellite on targeted drugs, scattered goals is available here.
- Further information about EAHP's Good Practice Initiatives collection is available here.
- Further information about the EAHP-EPSA Student Science Award is available here.
- For more information on any aspects of the Congress programme, including the award winners, or highlights from a national perspective, please contact info[at]eahp[dot]eu | 00 322 741 2436
- Requests for interviews with EAHP President Dr Roberto Frontini, EAHP President-Elect Joan Peppard, EAHP Director of Education, Science and Research Prof Dr Kees Neef or Chief Operating Officer Jennie De Greef can be made by contacting info[at]eahp[dot]eu | 00 322 741 2436