EAHP adopts a new commented version of the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy
2 November 2021
- The European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy represent what EAHP believes every European Health system should aim for in the delivery of hospital pharmacy services to obtain better outcomes for patients.
- EAHP conducted a review of the European Statements which are still remarkably resilient. Only some comments were added to further clarify the meaning of some of the Statements.
- The commented version was approved by all EAHP Members during the 51st General Assembly in June 2021.
Brussels, 2 November 2021. Delegates from the EAHP’s 35 members countries came together (virtually) on the 11th and 12th of June for the 51st EAHP General Assembly. During the General Assembly, the commented version of the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy was voted on and approved by all members.
Adopted in 2014 following a Delphi process involving more than 100 stakeholders, the European Statements represent the future of the profession. In 2016, EAHP set up an implementation programme that started to work to bring about the full achievement of the European Statements within all our member countries. A lot has been progressed since then, including the development of an online tool allowing hospital pharmacists to assess the level of implementation of the European Statements within their pharmacies.
It was in 2019 when EAHP decided to conduct a review of the Statements to check their continued relevance and whether they effectively covered emerging issues. The EAHP Board with the support of all EAHP Members determined that the European Statements are still remarkably resilient. However, the working group in charge of reviewing the Statements decided that some of them could benefit from the addition of comments to further clarify their meaning. The EAHP Board and all EAHP national associations agreed with this approach. Thus, after a process that involved a working group of highly qualified hospital pharmacists and all 35 national associations, EAHP adopted this commented version of the European Statements.
If COVID-19 has taught us one thing, it is the need for better preparedness for pandemics and the importance of the hospital pharmacy profession in the healthcare setting. We believe that the European Statements set the vision for what should be expected of Hospital Pharmacy and Hospital Pharmacists across Europe to ensure we are prepared for that next challenge to the health of our citizens.
EAHP President András Süle stated “By working together on the implementation of the European Statements we will not only be better prepared for future crises like the COVID-19 pandemic, but we will also improve the safety and efficacy of hospital pharmacy services. The provision of a patient-centered care is at the core of the Statements and reflects what we believe is the future of the profession”
EAHP Project Director Tony West remarked “The continued relevance of the Statements, especially as the world is still struggling with the pandemic, reflects the work put in to initially develop them by patients, our healthcare professional colleagues and hospital pharmacists”
For more information about the European Statements and its implementation project please contact Statements[at]eahp[dot]eu:
- The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is an association of national organisations across 35 countries representing more than 23000 hospital pharmacists at European and international levels. More information about the EAHP and its history HERE
- The updated commented version of the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy can be found HERE