EAHP launches online self-assessment tool
29 November 2017
The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is working to bring about the full achievement of the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy within its member countries. As part of the Statement implementation project, EAHP has launched an online self-assessment tool for hospital pharmacists.
The self-assessment tool was developed with the help of EAHP's country member associations and a working group of highly qualified hospital pharmacists appointed for the matter. Prior to its release, the tool was tested and reviewed during the 47th General Assembly of EAHP in Malta (8-11 June 2017).
The self-assessment tool allows hospital pharmacist to assess the level of implementation of the Statements within their hospitals. It also provides the means for hospital pharmacists and other healthcare professionals to address areas needing improvement with the help of a tailor-made action plan and a broad range of evidence-based resources. Progress can be tracked by individual hospital pharmacies as the assessment can be updated at any time.
By completing the assessment, hospital pharmacists will not only be able to understand the Statement implementation level within their hospitals, but they will also be provided with the opportunity to further use the results. Anonymised comparative reports that are generated by the tool will allow hospitals pharmacies to compare themselves with other hospitals in their own or other EAHP member countries. Moreover, data gathered by the tool will also complement the information that EAHP has been collecting through its annual surveys.
The self-assessment tool is already available in Spanish, Italian, Romanian and Turkish and will be translated into 8 other European languages in the following months. Ahead of its official launch during the 23rd EAHP Congress in Gothenburg, Sweden (21-23 March 2018) hospital pharmacists are already encouraged to use the tool.
EAHP President Joan Peppard stated "This self-assessment too will allow us as hospital pharmacists, to measure over time the developments in pharmacy services in line with the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy to improve patient care. It is difficult once we improve to remember where we started and this tool will show our individual hospital progress and energise for the road ahead".
As EAHP Project Director Tony West remarked "This marks an important step in the Statement Implementation project. We now have a tool that enables individual hospitals to demonstrate their progress with these Statements, Statements developed jointly with patient groups, healthcare professional colleagues and our members".
For further information contact Statements[at]eahp[dot]eu; Tel: (+32) 26692514
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is an association of national organisations across 35 countries representing hospital pharmacists at European and international levels. More information about the EAHP and its history here.
2. More information about EAHP's Member Associations is available here.
3. More information about the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy and the Statement implementation project is available here.
4. The self-assessment tool can be found here.
5. Requests for interviews with EAHP President Joan Peppard, EAHP Project Director Tony West and national spokespersons of EAHP country member associations can be made by contacting Statements[at]eahp[dot]eu|; Tel: (+32) 26692514