18 November 2016
On European Antibiotic Awareness Day (18th November), the European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) has issued a call for all citizens to become students in prudent use.
Speaking in Brussels, at an event organised by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Tajda Miharija Gala, EAHP Vice-President and policy lead on antimicrobial resistance (AMR), said:
"Working together at the European level to tackle the cross-border health threat of antimicrobial resistance, a relentless focus must be placed on achieving prudent use of antibiotics.
Succeeding in this endeavour has many components, including continuing to educate the public about the importance of appropriate use of antibiotics. Hospital pharmacists, alongside other healthcare professionals, need to assist patients in becoming students of prudent use, via direct counselling. In addition to this, all health systems can still achieve more in respect to antimicrobial stewardship in hospitals. Within multi-disciplinary teams the hospital pharmacist can lead on matters such as reviewing antibiotic serum levels and duration of therapy, advising on the cessation or amendment of inappropriate antibiotic treatments, educating other healthcare professionals on the restricted use of certain antibiotics, and counselling patients on their antibiotic therapy.
Combatting antimicrobial resistance involves everyone, including those in other sectors such as farming and veterinary care. We therefore encourage the European Commission to be bold in defining the roles of different professions within the next EU Action Plan on AMR. A team works best when there is total clarity on individual responsibilities."
For further information contact info[at]eahp[dot]eu | 00 322 741 2436
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is an association of national organisations across 35 countries representing hospital pharmacists at European and international levels. More information about the EAHP and its history HERE.
2. 18th November is European Antibiotic Awareness Day. More information HERE
3. EAHP's policy statement on antimicrobial resistance is available HERE
4. More information about the European Commission's intention to publish a new EU Action Plan on AMR in 2017 is available HERE
5. Requests for interviews with Mrs Tajda Miharija Gala can be made by contacting info[at]eahp[dot]eu | 00 322 741 2436