The state of hospital pharmacy in Europe in 2015: EAHP opens new look practice survey!
10th February 2015
In the run up to its annual Congress, the European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) has issued a new format practice survey to heads of hospital pharmacy across Europe. The survey aims to shine light on the current state of practice in EAHP's member countries, and where attention for practice development is most required.
Since the 1990s, EAHP has conducted landmark surveys of practice on a quinquennial basis in order to:
• monitor the changes occurring across Europe in relation to what the hospital profession does and how it does it;
• locate where best and good practice exists; and,
• identify where progress may be below aspiration level.
The last survey was conducted in 2010 with results published via a series of articles in the European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy.
2015 sees a new departure for the EAHP practice survey, with its basis now firmly routed in the 44 European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy. The statements were agreed at a 2014 Summit with hospital pharmacy organisations, patients and other healthcare professionals, and now form the principal platform for EAHP's practice development activity. The 2015 'baseline survey' now issued to EAHP's member associations for circulation, will take a picture of how hospital pharmacy in Europe stands overall against the 44 aspirational European statements. From autumn 2015 EAHP's survey activity will then move to an annual calendar, focusing on 2 of the 6 statement areas.
Speaking about the changes to the survey, and its importance, Jennie De Greef, EAHP Chief Operating Officer, said:
"EAHP's survey of practice has always been an important tool for our members in comparing how practice in their country and region relates to the European whole. It can provide a powerful stimulus for renewed development effort, and a spotlight for learning from good practice.
However, just as time does not stand still in the way hospital pharmacy delivers its services, so technology and feedback are enabling us to continually improve how we conduct our survey. The 2015 survey is therefore entirely electronic, can be saved and returned to, and will be opened, closed, analysed and published within a much faster turn around period than we were previously able to achieve.
We're excited to publish the results later this year, and believe, with the new underpinning of the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy, which gives us the directional road map of where we all want the profession in Europe to head for, the utility and importance of this survey in driving change will be stronger than ever."
The survey closes on 28 February 2015
For further information contact info[at]eahp[dot]eu 00 322 741 6835
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is an association of national organisations across 34 countries representing hospital pharmacists at European and international levels. More information about the EAHP and its history here.
- Further information about past and present EAHP practice survey activity is available here.
- Further information about the 2015 practice survey is available here.
- Further information about the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy is available here.
- The survey has been circulated by EAHP to national coordinaters in all EAHP member countries for circulation to heads of hospital pharmacies. For further information about the national coordination processes in your country contact sandra.teixeira[at]eahp[dot]eu