09 June 2016
Hospital pharmacists from across Europe are gathering in Prague today (9th June) for the annual General Assembly of the European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP). Topics on the agenda include implementation of the 44 European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy and the development of a common training framework for hospital pharmacy in Europe.
The General Assembly is the decision-making body of EAHP, with each of EAHP's 34 member countries invited to send national delegations. At the General Assembly, delegates receive updates on the core activities of EAHP over the past year, share information on their association’s own national activities, conduct elections to the EAHP Board of Directors, approve policy activities and participate in workshops.
Two years after the passage of the landmark European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy, much focus will be given at the meeting on the status of their implementation. Several practice surveys now give insight to the challenges associated with meeting the Statements' aspirations. A Statement implementation team will work with delegates to plan how hospitals and healthcare systems can achieve the goals set out in the Statements.
Further to this, one year after the establishment of EAHP's common training framework project, delegates will receive first sight of the draft framework, and contribute to the forthcoming strategy for consulting stakeholders on its final content.
The General Assembly will also give policy attention to the Falsified Medicines Directive, the hospital pharmacist role in tackling antimicrobial resistance, and developments in respect to combatting medicines shortages.
Welcoming delegates to Prague, EAHP President Joan Peppard said:
"The General Assembly is a unique opportunity for our members to come together for a focused working weekend. At the General Assembly we determine how to work across countries to improve medication management for patients and the contribution made by the hospital pharmacist profession.
This year we meet in the beautiful city of Prague, birthplace of Vaclav Havel, a writer and philosopher of recent times. He told us “Work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed”. An apt thought as we reflect on how to achieve the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy. Many of the statements are challenging for all countries but the goal of improving patient care is inspiring. That is what motivates the European Association of Hospital Pharmacists.”
For further information contact info[at]eahp[dot]eu | 00 322 741 6835
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is an association of national organisations across 34 countries representing hospital pharmacists at European and international levels. More information about the EAHP and its history here.
2. More information about the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy is available here.
3. More information about the Common Training Framework is available here.
4. More information about EAHP's Member Associations is available here.
5. More information about EAHP's surveys of practice is available here.
6. Requests for interviews with Joan Peppard can be made by contacting info[at]eahp[dot]eu | 00 322 741 2436