The European Association of Hospital Pharmacists (EAHP) is looking for new members to join the Special Interest Group (SIG) on Controlled Substances Management in European Hospitals. The SIG will kick off its work in March 2023. This SIG is financially supported by BD.
While controlled drugs (CDs) are essential to modern clinical care, research suggests that managing controlled substances is a complex and time-consuming process. Challenges with the management of CDs in a hospital, including the pharmacy, wards, and departments, include time-intensive mandatory record keeping processes and physical reconciliation of stock, often further compounded by inadequate storage facilities and capacity.
Innovative and efficient solutions like Automated Dispensing Cabinets and related software have the potential to increase the efficiency of medicine logistics, to relieve staff while at the same time improving dispensing safety and specify documentation processes where they are particularly required. At present, however, the legal framework conditions do not yet allow the use of such technology for the storage and digital documentation of controlled substances in some European countries.
Call for the Expression of Interest
Scope of activities
EAHP’s SIG for Controlled Substances Management in European Hospitals would determine the current situation in Europe around the existing challenges in managing controlled substances, the current and new technologies to control these substances and the regulatory situations and barriers of these technologies. The SIG will also develop recommendations to improve controlled substance management in European hospitals.
Hold one of the following qualifications:
- Head of a hospital pharmacy with experience managing controlled substances
- Hospital pharmacist with experience managing controlled substances
- Healthcare professionals with experience managing controlled substances
SIG candidates should:
- have a proven scientific curriculum/background and/or relevant (work) experience linked to the management of controlled substances
- ideally, have gained experience in the topic and working with hospital management and other professional to drive changes within their pharmacies
- have the ability to collect and analyse data, and disseminate public health information
- have sufficient time to commit themselves to the work of the SIG which will involve regular (online) meeting attendance including preparation and follow-up activities determined during the SIG meetings
The SIG will meet at least once per month for 2 hours. In addition to the monthly meetings, there are between 2 to 4 hours of preparatory and follow-up work each month before/after the meeting.
Geographic diversity will be one overarching criterion applied in the selection of the SIG members. To guarantee the smooth functioning of the SIG, its size will not exceed 20 members.
Expressions of interest from pharmacists meeting the eligibility criteria should be submitted by email to: Jennie.DeGreef[at]eahp[dot]eu. In order to be deemed admissible, applications must provide EAHP with a:
- Short motivation statement explaining why you would be interested in joining the SIG
The Kick-off meeting will take place on Thursday, 30 March 2023, from 5.00 to 7.00 PM CEST.
This Call for Expression of Interest closes on june 30th. EAHP reserves the right to disregard any application sent after that date/time. Successful candidates will be contacted after the application deadline has passed.
Access the call for the expression of interest HERE