Hazardous medicinal products are vital for the treatment of both cancerous and other non-cancerous diseases. Hospital pharmacists are responsible for the preparation of these medicinal products and like all healthcare professionals that handle and administer hazardous medicinal products are exposed to certain risks.
EAHP’s Position Paper on Hazardous Medicinal Products provides vital insights into the role that hospital pharmacists play in handling hazardous medicinal products and the protection of healthcare workers, shares best practices gathered by EAHP’s Special Interest Group (SIG) on the classification of hazardous medicinal products and touches on training and education aspects in relation to hazardous medicinal products.
Since the safe handling of hazardous medicinal products is of uttermost importance for the safety of healthcare workers and patients treated with these medicines, EAHP
- calls on the European Commission and national governments across Europe to actively engage with hospital pharmacist representatives in the review of relevant Directives for the management of hazardous medicinal products in the healthcare environment.
- asks national governments and health system managers to immediately engage with the European Statements of Hospital Pharmacy and implement best practices relating to hazardous medicinal products.
- recommends an EU wide standard approach to the classification and management of hazardous medicinal products.
- advises the European Commission and national governments across Europe to initiate best practice sharing on the classification and handling of hazardous medicinal products among its Member States.
- advocates for the revision of pharmacy curricula and the expansion of training opportunities for the pharmacy workforce to account for the growing demand for the management of hazardous medicinal products and related health and safety issues.
EAHP’s Position Paper on Hazardous Medicinal Products is available HERE