Member since 1972
- Promote and coordinate the scientific, technical and administrative activity of hospital pharmacies in order to improve their performance;
- Study, update and perfect means of developing, producing and distributing pharmaceuticals in hospitals, in collaboration with other health care workers;
- Oversee work methods and administrative criteria in order to create an increasingly efficient economic system for hospital administrations;
- Take and encourage all initiatives it considers appropriate to increase the ethical and cultural standing of pharmacists who work in hospital pharmacies and within the territorial pharmaceutical services of Health Centres.
SIFO has 2,175 members, working in several hospital pharmacies throughout Italy.
In Italy, the specialisation in Hospital Pharmacy was established since the academic year 1977-78. It has been defined by two ministerial decrees (01/08/2005 and 29/03/2006). This specialisation is mandatory to work as hospital pharmacist in the Public Health System. It is a 4 year postgraduate training program.
Key features include: clinical pharmacy, clinical governance, drugs and medical devices management, research, evidence-based medicine, evidence-based healthcare, health technology assessment, pharmacovigilance, drug information, public tender of drugs and medical devices.
Additionally, it is possible to complete the following Masters Degrees:
- Masters in Hospital Pharmacy Management at the University of Camerino;
- Master in Pharmacy and Oncological Pharmacology at Università degli Studi di Milano;
- Masters in Hospital Pharmacy Management at Università Cattolica di Roma;
- Advanced Training Courses in Logistics and Radiopharmacy at Università Degli Studi Padova;
- Advanced Training Course in Pharmacoeconomics Evaluation at Università degli Studi di Ferrara.
Address: Via Carlo Farini, 81-20159 Milano, Italy
E-mail: segreteria[at]sifo[dot]it; sifosede[at]sifo[dot]it