- Cochrane Special Collections – Coronavirus (COVID-19): evidence relevant to critical care
This Special Collection is one of two collections on COVID-19, and it focuses on evidence relevant to critical care. See also the companion Special Collection: Coronavirus (COVID-19): infection control and prevention measures.
- Cochrane France – Dossier spécial COVID-19
This Special Collection provides information on COVID-19 in French.
- Oxford University Press for the Infectious Diseases Society of America - In Vitro Antiviral Activity and Projection of Optimized Dosing Design of Hydroxychloroquine for the Treatment of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
The study examined whether hydroxychloroquine may be useful in controlling the cytokine storm that occurs late-phase in critically ill SARS-CoV-2 infected patients. The pharmacological activity of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine was tested using SARS-CoV-2 infected Vero cells and Hydroxychloroquine (EC50=0.72 μM) was found to be more potent than chloroquine (EC50 =5.47=5.47 μM) in vitro. A loading dose of 400 mg twice daily of hydroxychloroquine sulphate given orally, followed by a maintenance dose of 200 mg given twice daily for 4 days is recommended for SARS-CoV2 infection.
- Science Translational Medicine - Broad-spectrum antiviral GS-5734 inhibits both epidemic and zoonotic coronaviruses
The study shows that a nucleotide prodrug GS-5734, which is currently in clinical development for the treatment of Ebola, can inhibit SARS-CoV and MERS CoV replication. GS-5734 was also effective against bat-CoVs, prepandemic bat-CoVs and circulating contemporary human CoV in primary human lung cells. Studies done on cells and mice provide substantive evidence that GS-5734 may prove effective against endemic MERS-CoV in the Middle East, circulating human CoV and possibly emerging CoV of the future.
- Journal of Hospital Infection - Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents – Journal of Hospital Infection | Persistenza di coronavirus su superfici inanimate e loro inattivazione con agenti biocidi
The article summarises the findings of a literature review looking at the persistence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS), Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS) or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) on inanimate surfaces. Surface disinfection procedures with 62 and 71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite have shown that these viruses can be efficiently inactivated within 1 minute.
- The Lancet - What are the risks of COVID-19 infection in pregnant women?
The research provides some insight into the clinical characteristics, pregnancy outcomes, and vertical transmission potential of COVID-19 infection in pregnant women.
- The New England Journal of Medicine - Report on Renin–Angiotensin–Aldosterone System Inhibitors in Patients with Covid-19
The report discusses the uncertain effects of RAAS blockers on ACE2 levels and activity in humans and proposes an alternative hypothesis that ACE2 may be beneficial rather than harmful in patients with lung injury.
- The New England Journal of Medicine - Compassionate Use of Remdesivir for Patients with Severe Covid-19
Remdesivir, a nucleotide analogue prodrug that inhibits viral RNA polymerases, has shown in vitro activity against SARS-CoV-2. In the cohort of patients hospitalized for severe Covid-19 who were treated with compassionate-use remdesivir, clinical improvement was observed in 36 of 53 patients (68%).
- Open Forum Infectious Disease - Coronavirus Disease 2019 Treatment: A Review of Early and Emerging Options
The article summarizes the current evidence and provides guidance on potential COVID-19 treatment options on behalf of the S ocietyof Infectious Diseases Pharmacists.
- JAMA Network - Pharmacologic Treatments for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Given the rapid pace of scientific discovery and clinical data generated by the large number of people rapidly infected by SARS-CoV-2, clinicians need accurate evidence regarding effective medical treatments for this infection. The review tries to shed light on the current pharmacologic treatment options.
- American Heart Association Journals - COVID-19, Arrhythmic Risk and Inflammation: Mind the Gap!
- American Heart Association Journals - Effect of Dapagliflozin on Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
The article investigates whether sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors could also reduce the risk of atrial fibrillation (AF) and atrial flutter (AFL).
- American Heart Association Journals - Antiplatelet Therapy Following Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Patients Complicated by COVID-19: Implications from Clinical Features to Pathological Findings
- Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy - Hospital pharmacists' pharmaceutical care for hospitalized patients with COVID-19: Recommendations and guidance from clinical experience
The article discusses the hospital pharmacists' role in providing pharmaceutical care for hospitalized patients with COVID-19 to promote patient care and management during the pandemic.
- Kidney International reports - Management of Patients on Dialysis and With Kidney Transplantation During the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Pandemic in Brescia, Italy
The article describes the experience of practitioners with managing patients with kidney disease during the current COVID-19 pandemic in Brescia City in the Lombardy region of Italy, with particular attention to patients undergoing dialysis and patients with renal transplantation.
- Journal of Intensive Care Medicine - Guidelines on the Management of Critically Ill Adults with COVID19
The scope of the guidelines is to provide recommendations to support hospital clinicians managing critically ill adults with COVID-19 in the ICU.
- REC: International Cardiology - Consideraciones sobre el abordaje invasivo de la cardiopatía isquémica y estructural durante el brote de coronavirus COVID-19 (Considerations on the invasive management of ischemic and structural heart disease during the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak)
Consensus statement of the Interventional Cardiology Association and the Ischemic Heart Disease and Acute Cardiac Care Association of the Spanish Society of Cardiology
- Intensive Care Medicine - COVID-19 pneumonia: different respiratory treatments for different phenotypes?
The article puts forward hypotheses on the different respiratory treatments for different phenotypes.
- Méditerranée Infection Foundation - Combination of hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin as potential treatment for COVID 19 patients: pharmacology, safety profile, drug interactions and management of toxicity
The article aims at sharing pharmacology considerations contributing to the rational of this combination, and to provide safety information in order to prevent toxicity and drug-drug interactions, based on available evidence.
- Drug Safety - Evidence of Clinically Meaningful Drug-Drug Interaction With Concomitant Use of Colchicine and Clarithromycin
The study examines the evidence and clinical implications of concomitant use of colchicine and clarithromycin.
- The Lancet – COVID-19 in patients with HIV: clinical case series
The article contains a description of the first single-centre experience of COVID-19 in patients infected with HIV-1, including clinical characteristics, antiviral and antiretroviral treatment, and outcomes.
- The Lancet - Remdesivir in adults with severe COVID-19: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial
The article shares results from a multicenter trial carried out between 6 February and 12 March 2020.
- Nature – A SARS-CoV-2 protein interaction map reveals targets for drug repurposing
The report shares information on an analysis of SARS-CoV-2 proteins in human cells.
- Farmacia Hospitalaria - Patients in Nursing Homes: type 2 diabetes mellitus prevalence and its pharmacologic therapy | Prevalencia de diabetes mellitus tipo 2y su tratamiento farmacológico en personas institucionalizadas en centros residenciales
The article determines type 2 diabetes mellitus prevalence, clinical features, specific pharmacologic treatment and problems faced in nursing home patients.
- The New England of Journal of Medicine - Observational Study of Hydroxychloroquine in Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19
This article examines the association between hydroxychloroquine use and intubation or death at a large medical center in New York
- SSRN - Usefulness of Ivermectin in COVID-19 Illness
The article studies the usefulness of Ivermectin, an antimicrobial therapy, in COVID-19 outcomes.
- Medicina Intensiva - Recomendaciones de «hacer» y «no hacer» en el tratamiento de los pacientes críticos ante la pandemia por coronavirus causante de COVID-19 de los Grupos de Trabajo de la Sociedad Española de Medicina Intensiva, Crítica y Unidades Coronarias (SEMICYUC)
The article puts forward recommendations of the Working Groups from the Spanish Society of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine and Coronary Units (SEMICYUC) for the management of adult critically ill patients in the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- The Lancet - Management of patients with multiple myeloma during the COVID-19 pandemic
The article summarises some recommendations to help with the management of patients with multiple myeloma during the COVID-19 pandemic
- JAMA Pediatrics - Characteristics and Outcomes of Children with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infection Admitted to US and Canadian Pediatric Intensive Care Units
This article provides an early description and characterization of COVID-19 infection in North American in in paediatric intensive care units (PICUs), focusing on mode of presentation, presence of comorbidities, severity of disease, therapeutic interventions, clinical trajectory, and early outcomes.
- European Heart Journal - Cardiac safety of off-label COVID-19 drug therapy: a review and proposed monitoring protocol
This review summarizes evidenced-based data regarding potential cardiac adverse effects due to off-label and investigational drugs including chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, antiviral therapy, monoclonal antibodies, as well as common antibiotics used for the treatment of COVID-19.
- American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy - Use of telemedicine to provide clinical pharmacy services during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic
The article looks at the provision of clinical services by pharmacists a from remote locations.
- The New England Journal of Medicines - Cardiovascular Disease, Drug Therapy, and Mortality in Covid-19
This study analyses the associated risk of cardiovascular disease with an increased risk of in-hospital death among patients hospitalized with COVID-19.
- Wiley Online Library - In-hospital management of persons with haemophilia and COVID-19: practical guidance
The article is a practical guidance for persons with haemophilia (PWH) diagnosed with COVID-19, admitted in hospital and possibility transferred to intensive care unit (ICU).
- The Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis - Thromboembolism and Anticoagulant Therapy During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Interim Clinical Guidance from the Anticoagulation Forum
This guidance document addresses key issues pertaining to prevention or treatment of thrombotic events in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 with the overarching purpose of striking a balance between risks and benefits of anticoagulation therapies.
- Diabetologia - Phenotypic characteristics and prognosis of inpatients with COVID-19 and diabetes: the CORONADO study
Study in people with diabetes hospitalized for COVID-19.
- Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin - Deprescribing in the time of COVID-19
The editorial examines task of deprescribing and adjusting patients' medicines who are at high risk of, or who have developed symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.
- Springer - Thromboembolism and anticoagulant therapy during the COVID-19 pandemic: interim clinical guidance from the anticoagulation forum
The article provides guidance on the use of anticoagulant therapies in patients with COVID-19.
- NEJM Catalyst - A Paradigm for the Pandemic: A Covid-19 Recovery Unit
The article reviews the convenience of a dedicated multidisciplinary post-ICU recovery unit for Covid-19 patients.
- BMJ - British society of Gastroenterology guidance for management of inflammatory bowel disease during the covid-19 pandemic
The article provides information on the treatment of people with of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- Journal of Clinical Oncology Practice - Providing oncology pharmacy services during the coronavirus pandemic: French Society for Oncology Pharmacy (Société Francaise de Pharmacie Oncologique-SFPO) guidelines
These recommendations seek to adapt oncology pharmacy activities to ensure safe oncology care and to limit the risk of transmission of CoV-2-SARS for cancer patients.
- European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy - Epinephrine use in COVID-19: friend or foe?
The study evaluates the use of epinephrine in COVID-19 patients with cytokine storms.
- European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy - Involvement of interleukin 6 in SARS-CoV-2 infection: siltuximab as a therapeutic option against COVID-19
The short report explores the involvement of interleukin 6 in SARS-CoV-2 infection and positions the drug siltuximab in the management of severe forms of COVID-19.
- MedRxiv - Tocilizumab in COVID-19 patients on mechanical ventilation
The study investigates if cytokine inhibitor tocilizumab could have a favorable effect on survival in the most severely infected patients who require mechanical ventilation.
- The Pharmaceutical Journal - Managing dental emergencies in response to COVID-19
The article contains recommendations for pharmacists and their teams which can be used to counsel patients on interim management for common dental emergencies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology - Anesthetic Management of Endovascular Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke During COVID-19 Pandemic: Consensus Statement From Society for Neuroscience in Anesthesiology & Critical Care (SNACC)
Recommendations for the safe and effective anesthetic management of endovascular therapy for acute ischemic stroke during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Recovery - Low-cost dexamethasone reduces death by up to one third in hospitalised patients with severe respiratory complications of COVID-19
Statement from the Chief Investigators of the Randomised Evaluation of COVid-19 thERapY (RECOVERY) Trial on dexamethasone.
- Revista Colombiana de Gastroenterología - Management of patients with inflammatory bowel disease during the COVID-19 pandemic
Review on the interaction of the SARS-CoV-2 virus with the gastrointestinal tract and the potential mechanisms whereby a patient with inflammatory bowel disease could have an increased risk of COVID-19 infection.
- The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery - A Review of State Guidelines for Elective Orthopaedic Procedures During the COVID-19 Outbreak
The article discusses the impact of guidelines on orthopaedic surgery and provides the general framework used to determine which procedures have been postponed.
- AHA Journals - Guidance for Cardiac Electrophysiology During the COVID-19 Pandemic from the Heart Rhythm Society COVID-19 Task Force; Electrophysiology Section of the American College of Cardiology; and the Electrocardiography and Arrhythmias Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology, American Heart Association
The article includes guidance for managing invasive and noninvasive electrophysiology procedures, clinic visits, and cardiac device interrogations.
- Cochrane Library - Personal protective equipment for preventing highly infectious diseases due to exposure to contaminated body fluids in healthcare staff
The systemic review evaluates which type of full‐body personal protective equipment (PPE) and which method of donning or doffing PPE have the least risk of contamination or infection for healthcare workers.
- The Lancet - Interleukin-1 blockade with high-dose anakinra in patients with COVID-19, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and hyperinflammation: a retrospective cohort study
The retrospective study looked at the benefits of anakinra for patients with non-invasive ventilation outside of the ICU.
- Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis - Use of subcutaneous tocilizumab to prepare intravenous solutions for COVID-19 emergency shortage: Comparative analytical study of physicochemical quality attributes
The study evaluated the use of tocilizumab in its intravenous form of administration for treatment of severe cytokine release syndrome patients.
- Journal of the American Geriatrics Society - COVID‐SAFER : Deprescribing Guidance for Hydroxychloroquine Drug Interactions in Older Adults
The study quantifies the degree of polypharmacy and burden of potentially inappropriate medications (PIMs) that older hospitalized adults are taking that would interact with hydroxychloroquine.
- Journal of the American Geriatrics Society - Optimizing Medication Management During the COVID ‐19 Pandemic: An Implementation Guide for Post‐Acute and Long‐Term Care
The article provides a practical guidance on strategies to improve medication management and support the efforts of frontline staff within these care settings.
- Critical Care Medicine (CCM) and Intensive Care Medicine (ICM) - Surviving Sepsis Campaign: Guidelines on the Management of Critically Ill Adults with Coronavirus Disease 2019(COVID-19)
This guideline provides recommendations to support hospital clinicians managing critically ill adults with COVID-19 in the intensive care unit (ICU).
- Critical Care - Prevention of thrombotic risk in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 and hemostasis monitoring
The study aims to assist clinicians in the therapy and monitoring of anticoagulation to prevent thrombosis in hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
- Farmacia Hospitalaria - Hospital Pharmacist Experience in a Multidisciplinary Team in Special Care Settings
This article provides a description of the hospital pharmacist experience of two public hospitals located in the Autonomous Community of Madrid, Spain during the COVDI-19 pandemic.
- American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy - Perspectives from the frontline: A pharmacy department's response to the COVID-19 pandemic
The report describe the institution's strategy to deploy pharmacy resources and standardize pharmacy processes to optimize the management of patients with COVID-19.
- Cancer Treatment Reviews - Cancer, immune suppression and Coronavirus Disease-19 (COVID-19): Need to manage drug safety
The aim of the present guidelines is to review and report a summary of the various recommendations/expert consensus for the management of cancer patients in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nature Medicine - Extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19
The article reviews extrapulmonary organ-specific pathophysiology, presentations and management considerations for patients with COVID-19 to aid clinicians and scientists in recognizing and monitoring the spectrum of manifestations.
- Farmacia Hospitalaria - Survey on the situation of telepharmacy as applied to the outpatient care in hospital pharmacy departments in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic
The study analyses the status of the implementation and development of telepharmacy as applied to the pharmaceutical care of outpatients treated at hospital pharmacy services in Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Journal of Affective Disorders - Impact of coronavirus syndromes on physical and mental health of health care workers: Systematic review and meta-analysis
The article identifies physical and mental health outcomes in healthcare workers infected or exposed to coronavirus syndromes, monitors their course and implements preventive/treatment measures to mitigate their effect in this vulnerable population.
- American Journal of Infection Control - Prevalence of Comorbidities Among Individuals With COVID-19: A Rapid Review of current Literature
The aim of the review is to explore the prevalence of top global comorbidities (CVD, Diabetes, COPD, Cancer, and CKD) among individuals with COVID-19, as well as investigate any significant associations.
- Dermatologic Therapy - Psoriasis and COVID ‐19: A narrative review with treatment considerations
The article summarises different treatments for psoriasis during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- MedRxiv - The Possible Role of Vitamin D in Suppressing Cytokine Storm and Associated Mortality in COVID-19 Patients
This article investigates the possible role of Vitamin D deficiency via unregulated inflammation in COVID-19 complications and associated mortality.
- The New England Journal of Medicine - Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in U.S. Children and Adolescents
The article reports on the emergence of a life-threatening hyperinflammatory syndrome across the United States that involves damage to multiple organ systems in predominantly previously healthy children and adolescents during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy - Drive-thru pharmacy services: A way forward to combat COVID-19 pandemic
The article shares an overview of opportunities and challenges related to the implementation of "drive-thru pharmacy services" and their role in improving public health during this crisis.
- MedRxiv - Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system inhibitors and COVID-19 infection or hospitalization: a cohort study
Cohort study that examines the association between angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) and angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and COVID-19 infection or hospitalisation.
- Clinical Microbiology and Infection – COVID-19: don't neglect antimicrobial stewardship principles!
Recommendations regarding the use of antibiotics in patients with COVID-19.
- European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy – Informing critical care drug requirements in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
The article shares insights on the development a process to estimate critical care drug requirements to robustly inform regional procurement planning and preparedness in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Journal of Interprofessional Care - Development of an interprofessional rotation for pharmacy and medical students to perform telehealth outreach to vulnerable patients in the COVID-19 pandemic
This report describes an interprofessional rotation for pharmacy and medical students focused on telehealth outreach to patients at high risk for delays in care due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supply Chain Forum: An International Journal - Automated hospital pharmacy supply chain and the evaluation of organisational impacts and costs
This article aims at demonstrating to what extent taking into account organisational impacts (and more particularly HR impacts) can significantly affect the outcome of economic evaluations and the decision to invest in the intra-hospital supply chain.
- Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy - Pharmacy practice research priorities during the COVID-19 pandemic: Recommendations of a panel of experts convened by FIP Pharmacy Practice Research Special Interest Group
The article covers a discussion about the current status of COVID-19 related research, provides recommendations, and identifies focal points for pharmacy practice, social pharmacy, and education research moving forward.
- American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy - Considerations for development of pharmacy support models for COVID-19 alternate care sites
Guidance on alternate care site planning based on the experience of a health-system pharmacy department in preparing for an expected surge in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases is provided.
- !NEW! MedRxiv - Interactions between SARS-CoV-2 and influenza and the impact of coinfection on disease severity: a test negative design
The study aims at assessing whether infection with influenza is associated with a reduced risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection and assessing whether coinfection with influenza is associated with a more severe SARS-CoV-2 outcome such as death, being admitted to hospital, admitted to ICU or requiring ventilatory support.
The disclaimer for the EAHP COVID-19 Resource Centre can be found here
Last update: 25 September 2020